Subject: [Leica] The price of 50mm has gone up a decimal
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 05:21:29 -0400

I got my first Leica, an M6 with a 50 Summicron in May of 1993 the 50
Summicron cost $650 new quite a bit cheaper than any other new lens made by
Leica at the time and there was no Cosina Voigtl?nder or Cosina Zeiss for
Leica yet. Instead of that there were older Leica lenses. Many said "Leitz"
on them.
Soon after it went up to $750 where it stayed it seems to me a real long
time. Several years maybe. After owning and using it a few years and joining
the LUG it I found out it was not one of the better offerings from Leica as
the formula was a bit old hat and in need of revamping. All kinds of
exciting things happened in Leica glass - Asph's and Apo's in odd focal
lengths a 24mm a 75mm but the 50 Summicron stayed old. Really the flagship
lens of the lineup if not the 1.4 stayed the same. Old and creaky. The
images had a great look. But apparently the tests showed the resolution was
not there. Not there compared to the tinny new fake Zeiss' s and
Voigtl?nders.
Well most of us know now they finally did it. The revamped the 50 and its
called the Leica APO-Summicron-M 50 mm f/2 ASPH
And it's been an even twenty years.
And it cost not $750. But $7500.
That's a whole lot of different class of change even with inflation!
I'm sure its worth it though.
A real inspiration figuring out how to swing it.
I need to do something BIG!
That lens on a new M 240 I think the number is would put sparkle in my eye.
And I think a sparkle in my results.

--
Mark William Rabiner
Photographer