Subject: [Leica] SWIRLED BKGRD & SHARP FACE! "Martha --New York COLOUR
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 12:04:54 -0700
References: <1751451726.2283896.1376543291766.JavaMail.root@uwm.edu><1976038941.2284137.1376543565779.JavaMail.root@uwm.edu><CAFfkXxurV4YvN=AwuPAAsKzaH4SNF0UErm7_Zf7gQ1JS3Lvo5w@mail.gmail.com><0B6B1CC530B44760879DA74D03434E1B@syneticfeba505><6F9D3A455DD443CF8E2C4B840E513DFF@syneticfeba505><01b501ce99c0$f83ed140$e8bc73c0$@verizon.net><CAFfkXxveAPmEcUXSDnEB4WPdJyfXanPr4acjausBnMEqaZuhtw@mail.gmail.com><1E42A5D21E6F4E6FABAC487C9511F9FF@syneticfeba505> <1301A6EA-71BB-4880-8D84-F9F6A793F097@acm.org>

Ted said:

>> http://tedgrantphoto.com/Martha.htm.         You can't miss her. :-)
>>
>> Anyone interested in how you make the background swirled and her face
>> still sharp?????? ;-)

Herbert Kanner RESPONDED:
Subject:    > I'm interested.<<

Hi Herbert,

Exactly how this happened! This photo of Martha is the result of the very
first exposure I tried. And I have used the method on several assignments
since and "NEVER GOT ONE AS PERFECT AS THIS ONE!" Lots of neat effects
though as the client always wanted to know how I managed to get the effect.
I always said it was a "trade secret!" ;-)

"Hold M4" in vertical position, focus on face. Film days. --  so each frame
tried was winging it and you didn't get to see results for 24 hours! Shoot
lots if film! ;-) If in doubt?  Digital today? You may only need one? I
doubt it?

Set shutter speed for correct exposure ( whatever allowing a slow shutter
speed say 1/4 at an appropriate aperture for correct exposure! All you need
is a slow shutter speed and setting the aperture to make it a correct
exposure.  I suppose 1/4 or 1/8th of second or slower?  It truly is hit or
miss! Even longer exposures create more interesting effect as you never know
how good or bad it is until you've clicked.

As the end result has more to do with your physical revolving the camera
hand held at exactly the same moment of tripping the shutter! Obviously
without going off centre while revolving the camera.

You also have to have your hands holding the camera correctly so your hands
can revolve without twisting the camera off centre!

MOST IMPORTANT???????  DON'T THINK ABOUT ANY OF IT. ------- JUST SHOOT IT!
ONE CLICK AT A TIME! Don't get all techie thinking as you'll surely screw it
up!

Lots of luck!

I had an assignment to create what it would look like while one is under the
influence of POT! The client assumed photogs like myself hopping all over
the world and Canada would know the "EFFECT VERY WELL! " ;-) MOI? Nope!

Not really, but Martha and her room mate did test my abilities to shoot and
"do some" one late day in their lower East-side New York flat. I didn't want
to lose my camaraderie with Martha, so what the hell? :-)  I tried it even
though not a smoker ever in my life. I didn't think there was any affect.
Until I realized I was crawling around the floor looking for new picture
angles!!! :-) :-) :-) Jeeeesh!  First and last time ever! :-) It was kind of
neat strange though! ;-)

Hopefully you'll have success! No not with the pot, the slow shutter speed
and twirling the camera! ;-) ;-)

cheers,
Dr. ted  :-)

Message from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] IMG: Fantastic photos by Magda Wasiczek)