Subject: [Leica] Leica NY Times article
From: jshulman at judgecrater.com (Jim Shulman)
Date: Fri, 9 Aug 2013 06:47:40 -0400

Since I've been using a postwar Contax extensively for the past several
months, and since I've used a lot of Leica equipment as well (still have
my M3 and iiib), here's my assessment:

1. Love the metal shutter, since there's no chance of roasting the
curtains if the camera winds up in direct sunlight for extended periods.
Once had that happen with an M2.
2. Bayonet mount is a PIA.  Leica really got it right with the M3--for the
Contax, it's just as fiddly as an LTM lens.  The internal mount (50mm)
lenses are somewhat easier to mount than all the others with their
external mount (where you must get both the mount and the lens set to
infinity before you can line up the red dots--and even then it takes a
little finesse to get everything to click. I've found this to be
especially true on lenses longer the 50mm.
3. Shutter makes a nice snap, but it is louder than the "snnnnk" of an
LTM.
4. Shutter speeds do not rotate, so there's no chance of catching a finder
on the rotating shutter speed dial.  However, I've never had that problem
with an LTM Leica.
5. Knob wind is about the same.
6. Combined RF/VF window was way ahead of its time (even for the Contax
IIa/IIIa cameras, which made their debut before the 1954 M3).
film perfectly, and checking to see that it's loading properly.  Kind of a
draw here, because the Contax's fully opening back which slides off the
camera (and unsecured takeup spool, which invariably winds up on the
floor) means that you have to get everything just right (tight enough
start on the spool, no film slack across the rear of the shutter) before
reattaching the back.  Since I have figured out how to tear leader for a
LTM Leica, the Leica's actually a little faster to load.
8. Infinity locks on both cause some less than pretty language.

Comes down to this: Contax feels more like beautifully made lab equipment;
Leica feels more lithe and elegant.  I find that, comparing optics of the
same era to their counterparts, Contax glass is a good bit more contrasty
and "snappy".

That said, I could pick up my iiib tomorrow and be just as
happy--especially since my Contax to LTM Amadeo adaptor lets me use my
favorite Contax glass!

Jim