Subject: [Leica] "Look Large"
From: lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2013 03:22:22 -0400

jpg is a format that uses file compression to save disk space. The
dimensions it opens up to can be the result of code in the viewer. You can
re dimension by hand at the risk of running into pixelation if the quality
of the stored image doesn't support the size of the new dimensions.  ....
so larger file size does not directly translate into large size on your
display, it's a reflection of the quality of the stored image. This makes
jpg's excellent for applications which must be workable on display devices
regardless of their physical size/pixel display capabilities (eg hand held
vs laptop vs room display). tiff's and other formats support compression to
a much lesser degree or not at all, however, the viewer (eg your browser,
Bridge, Lightroom or Photoshop) produces it's own scaled image for viewing.

-Lew Schwartz