Subject: [Leica] Fireworks Stands, Rearranged NOW: Stock Shots
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 19:17:01 -0400

I started with Rohn Engh's PhotoSource International workshops in 1980, but
that was a long time ago and there are better, more convenient sources now.
Michal Heron's book "Digital Stock Photograph, How to Shoot and Sell" is
pretty good.  Other than that, I would just go to some of the stock sites
like Alamy or Getty.  Look at what is offered and what sells.  A site like
Alamy, if you sign in as a contributor, will tell you exactly what is being
searched and what has sold:
http://www.alamy.com/Customersearch/Customersearchhistory.aspx   That is
invaluable for knowing what to post and how to keyword it.  For an agency
like Alamy, quantity is almost more important than quality, although your
photos do have to meet the 100% examination test.  The more your photos are
searched and zoomed, the higher your photos will be in the search engine,
the more photos you will sell.  You will need at least 1000 photos on Alamy
before you get significant sales.  You can also set up your own sites on
PhotoShelter or SmugMug or ZenFolio and recruit publishers yourself. That
takes much longer and requires that you are always available to fill
requests.  You can subscribe to stock request sites such as Photographer's
Direct and Image Brief.  Those list stock requests daily and, if you have
what is requested, you negotiate directly with the publishers.  Lots of
ways to sell stock!  None of them easy.  All requiring lots of work.  But
all can help pay for your addiction to photographic equipment ;-)

Good luck!

Tina