Subject: [Leica] Re; Buying Leica
From: images at comporium.net (Tina Manley)
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2013 11:45:49 -0400

I worked on assignments in Guatemala for many, many years.  That's where I
got the photos that I now lease as stock.  Stock is here to stay.  If you
think doing away with stock would bring back photographic jobs, you are
living in the past.  Micro-stock has destroyed many of the markets for
stock.  I hate micro-stock and will never lease RF. Micro-stock is here to
stay and will never go away, no matter how many photographers boycott it.
 No one is going to pay to send a photographer to Guatemala today.  If they
don't lease stock, they will hire a Guatemalan photographer.  There are
plenty.  That's what the agencies I used to work for are doing.  And they
are not hiring still photographers - it's all video. Do you think the
agencies that lease my photos - mostly textbook publishers - are going to
hire a photographer and send them out to take photos?  Of course not.  The
photos I lease are not taking jobs away from any photographers.  Those jobs
are not there.  Newspapers are not using stock instead of hiring
photographers.  They are giving cell phones to their reporters and telling
them to take snapshots.  They are posting videos on their websites.  They
are not hiring photographers or using stock.

Tina