Subject: [Leica] Sony RX1R, now also the Sony A99
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 12:35:56 -0400 (EDT)

Steve Barbour wrote:

>On Jun 28, 2013, at 8:50 AM, Doug Herr <wildlightphoto at earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>
>> Steve Barbour wrote:

>>> love to get your take, and that of Doug Herr on the sony alpha A 99...
>>>

>> I'd love to demo the A99.  As I understand it the translucent mirror is
>> used only for phase-detect AF and is removable.  Unfortunately not a lot
>> of native-mount long lenses made for it yet, and the performance of the
>> Sony 1.4x and especially 2x extenders seems to be somewhat underwhelming.
>

>is there an adapter that would allow the use of leica long lenses, that
>appeals to you?

No.  Leitax has excellent mount conversion kits for Leica-R lenses to fit
Alpha cameras, and since the Leica-R mirror clearance specs appear to have
been borrowed from Minolta there are no clearance problems, and a chipped
adapter enables the camera's stabilization system, but this does not appeal
to me because the 280's auto-diaphragm would be disabled, I have found no
mount adapters for my Novoflex/Telyt 560, and I would not be able to use the
Leica-R extenders once the R lenses are converted to Alpha mount.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Sony RX1R, now also the Sony A99)