Subject: [Leica] Small digital cameras, APS-C or Micro 4/3
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 11:31:24 -0400 (EDT)

My graduate student of 20 years ago, formerly a senior imaging engineer at
Kodak, now a professor of imaging science at the Rochester Institute of
Technology, tells me that Kodak found few image quality differences between
APS-C and Micro 4/3 sensors despite the hype in the media. Most
manufacturers using APS-C (Sony, Nikon, Fuji, even Leica) do so because of
the lack of legal restrictions. With APS-C each camera maker is free to use
its own proprietary lens mount, locking the buyer into that makers lenses.
Apparently to use Micro 4/3 you have to join the club and adhere to all the
requirements of the format. But you can use lenses from Olympus, Panasonic
and Leica interchangablly. Smart Leica has a foot in both camps.

He was less encouraging about the prospect of full frame sensors in the
lower priced ILC cameras than many on the LUG list. The small lens to sensor
distance of these cameras tends to produce the same problems of even
illumination as Leica encountered with the M8 and M9. It can be fixed with
microlens arrays but it is expensive. It is much easier to use micro 4/3 or
APS-C sensors. There are few legacy lenses to support with those sizes
except for die hards like me and Jim Nichols that want to use their old film
lenses with adapters.?

His prediction is that for the next year or so ILCs will get smaller but
retain sensor sizes in the APS-C or micro 4/3 size, possibly incorporating
electronic viewfinders. No affordable full frame digital Rollei 35 for the
next couple of years.

But then he could be wrong. After all, he worked for Kodak.

Larry Z