Subject: [Leica] IMG: Canon 50mm f1.2 on micro 4/3 camera
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 18:10:45 -0400 (EDT)

If you are as curious as I you may wonder about how some of those fast
legacy lenses work on ILC cameras with sub full frame sensors. Here are the
results of a trial this afternoon. First a couple of pictures of the camera,
an older Olympus EPL-1, with a Canon 50mm f1.2 lens attached.?

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/EPL-1+witn+Canon+50mm+f1.JPG.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/EPL-1+with+Canon+f1.JPG.html

Next a few trial pictures indoors. My wife wouldn't pose for me so these are
just snaps of things on the fireplace mantel under normal room light.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/50+mm+Canon+f1_2_+mantel.JPG.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/50mm+Canon+f2_+mantel.JPG.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/50mm+Canon+f8_+mantel.JPG.html

Finally a few pictures out of doors. The plaster guard dog on our front
porch was cooperative.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/50mm+Canon+f1_2_dog.JPG.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/50mm+Canon+f4_+dog.JPG.html
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Larry+Z/50mm+Canon+f8_+dog.JPG.html

As you can see, there is some expected softness at f1.2. Some it clearly
caused by my focusing error. The DOF at f1.2 can be measured in inches and
the camera was hand held. Things sharpen up nicely at smaller apertures.
Except for the fact that the lens weighs a ton it would be a nice short
telephoto to carry around.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] IMG: Canon 50mm f1.2 on micro 4/3 camera)