Subject: [Leica] Suggested Exposure for Mooning?
From: kingfisher at halcyon.com (Larry Bullis)
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 19:29:19 -0700

Think about the zone sys. If you use the "sunny 16" rule for the moon,
it WILL work, but the moon will be like what it's made of - moon rocks.
They are a rather uninteresting value of gray.

The Chinese poet Li Bai is said to have drowned trying to embrace the
image of the moon reflected in water. I doubt that Li would have been
motivated to do that had the image of the moon looked sort of like the
parking lot at Safeway.

It would probably be better to use f/11 or even closer to f/8. You have
a digital camera, so you can check it and choose the way you want it to
look.

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Suggested Exposure for Mooning?)