Subject: [Leica] Registration of cameras
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 16:27:02 +0100

 <lrzeitlin at aol.com>

> When I bought my first new Leica at a duty airport shop in Dublin in 1954,
> US Customs would not let me bring it in because the name "Leica" was the
> trademark property of Leica, USA. They would pass it if I
SNIP
> Incidentally the camera was a first edition M3 with an f2.0 Summicron. The
> price I paid in Dublin was about $250. I still have the receipt.

Ahh, duty-free! The concept was invented here in Ireland at Shannon Airport
near Limerick before spreading worldwide. Before the building of Shannon, we
had the trans-Atlantic flying boats leaving nearby Foynes for their 12 hour
flight to Newfoundland. And as a by the by, Foynes was the spark for another
Irish invention - Irish coffee. I believe it spread worldwide too.

Douglas
who has an M3 too