Subject: [Leica] Automatic mode
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2013 14:36:28 -0400 (EDT)

Some of us ex-newspaper types shoot in automatic mode because it is so
dead easy. We use the camera as an extension of the eyeball not as a
graphic arts paintbrush.

Years ago, when I bought my first DSLR, an Olympus E-500, I complained
on the LUG that I could barely comprehend the 15 modes of operation the
digital camera featured. With my old Leicas I simply set the aperture,
shutter speed, composed, focused and pressed the button. Most of my
pictures were pretty good and when I fouled up, I knew it was my fault.
I got a nice note from Dr. Ted saying, in essence, "fuggedaboutit,"
Just set the camera to automatic and take a lot of pictures. All JPGs.

Yes, Ted. You actually did say that. I've followed your advice over the
years with success, winning more than my share of regional photo
contests. It's good advice for anyone who is not a phototechie at
heart. Photography is about making images that people want to see, not
wringing the last bit of detail out of the bits and bytes.

Larry Z (an adventitious photographer)

Replies: Reply from Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie) ([Leica] Automatic mode)