Subject: [Leica] Tina, time to go Mac!
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2013 14:10:04 -0400

Tina,

Let me state upfront that I prefer Macs but that is not a religion. I've
used Windows, Linux, Mac and many others computers as my primary computing
platform over the last 35 years.

In your place, the decision point for me would be a) who will sell me an
appropriate box/cylinder that works out of the box and b) who will provide
support to the level I would need as professional photographer.

With regards my recommendation to buy a pre-buil box, my most recent Linux
box I built by ordering all the parts myself. It was way more hassle than I
expected since various things like BIOS's had to be modified. It took me 2
weeks to get the system to be stable enough that I can do multiple video
encoding simultaneously. The fact that I had help from a real geek and it
still took as long as it did is disturbing. It's not even a bleeding edge PC
like a gaming PC. So I don't recommend building a PC for non-masochists. You
might get lucky and have it work the first time (or not).

with regards to support, people who uses computers for a living needs very
quick turn around. Apple Store works for me since there is one locally and I
can take a sick Mac in and have it given back to me the next day unless
something is really wrong. My worst case situation was my laptop got
strangely sick. It took the local Apple store a week of iteratively
replacing just about everything inside before they admitted they can't fix
it and gave me a new one. Apple provides better support than any other
manufacturer right now though it is far from perfect.

A long time ago, companies like Dell use to provide this level of support
but no more.

Make sure you can get local support from a competent source for the computer
you buy. When it breaks, and it will break at the most inconvenient time,
someone need to be able to fix it quickly. I don't believe in keeping the
original packaging for the next 2 years just so I can send a broken computer
back in original packaging to get warranty service. That is just the bean
counters trying to figure out how to deter customers from requesting
warranty service.

It doesn't matter how sexy the website description is (and Apple has
industrial engineering down to a science and there are some pretty nice
looking Windows boxes out there), if I can't get local support, I wouldn't
buy it if I were you.

Regards,
Spencer

Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Tina, time to go Mac!)