Subject: [Leica] Hong Kong 2013 Rugby 7's
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&ECummer)
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 06:56:49 -0700

Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 21:52:23 +0200
From: Nathan Wajsman <photo at frozenlight.eu>
Subject: Re: [Leica] Hong Kong 2013 Rugby 7's
To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org>

I love rugby. I think it is one of the most photogenic sports, and your pics
only confirm it.

As for the tickets--where do the other 36000 end up? With corporate sponsors
and party bigwigs? What a disgrace!

Cheers,
Nathan

Hi Nathan,
Like so many things in Hong Kong Big Money has Big Influence, When started
the 7's were just locally organized but about 10 - 15 years ago the 7's
management was taken over by the International Rugby Union and it started to
sell more and more sponsorships to earn money to share with less profitable
series in other areas as well as, yes, supporting local rugby. Every year
more and more of the public space is taken over to provide more area for
corporate sponsors (investment banks are especially big buyers) and there is
less and less public area. Esther and I have pretty much decided not to
bother any more. It is not fun to be a second class citizen in your own
city. Still, I have to admit that I agree with everyone who says that the
Hong Kong 7's are the best 7's in the world - they really define the brand.
But you just can't get tickets unless you KNOW someone (or are very lucky as
we were).
Bests
Howard