Subject: [Leica] Photographing in Vietnam
From: davidhhching at yahoo.com.sg (David Ching)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 21:39:51 +0700

Dear Dr Leon,

I have friends who are part of my photo club in Vietnam including both
foreign and local full-time professionals. One who won an UN sponsored award
just informed me last weekend that while he was photographing in remote
village off Danang, he was questioned by the local police. No, he wasn't
apprehended.
Generally, there are no issues photographing in the cities and big towns.
It's only in the remote areas where one is likely to be stopped and
questioned. Naturally do not aim your cameras at the uniformed forces.
In Vietnam, technically everyone must report their place of stay to the
local police either through their hotel or their landlords, the former via
the hotel manifest and the "white residence book" for the later. It's not
that the police check on everyone all the time. They just need to know.

Best,

David Ching

H.P. Tel. no.: +84 904684321 (Vietnam)
                    : +65 92321098 (Singapore)