Subject: [Leica] Nothing else for it
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sat, 6 Apr 2013 08:29:12 +1000

Portraits are not the only subject that Marty and others may want to shoot
though. In fact Marty 's profession involves looking closely at small fishy
thingies.
The APO Summicron 75mm ASPH is capable of filling the frame with smaller
areas at minimum focus distance than a 90 at a longer focus distance. I use
mine for flowers for example.
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/143740345 (uncropped)
At the same time at those close distances focus accuracy and predictability
is very important at large apertures of course. The APO Summicron is better
in that respect.

Where you have established a relationship with the subject/model it need
not be intrusive in their personal space either.

Filling the frame with a face with a 75 (on a full frame camera) in any
case needn't put you quite as minimum distance..
You can take advantage of the characteristics deliberately for effect if
desired too.
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/138448964

Compose and frame only a little differently and you can reduce the effect
of that characteristic too.
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman/image/144872730

*If you want to take more interesting pictures,
stand in front of more interesting stuff* -- Joe McNally

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman