Subject: [Leica] 19th Century Lens Captures 21st Century Bird
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 11:27:30 -0500

Hi David,

Thanks for looking and commenting on this posting.  Yes, it is the Ross
lens, complete with Waterhouse stop wheel.  The recent photo was made on an
overcast day, and at about 50 ft distance.  I was pleasantly surprised by
the older image, made from my truck on a very cold January morning.  I had
just parked in my driveway when I spotted the bird in a young pear tree,
about 15 ft away.  I rolled down the window and racked the bellows all the
way out to get him in focus.  The colors and details speak well of the lens
maker's skills in London about 125 years ago.

Here is a photo of the lens itself:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Ross+Lens+2.jpg.html

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA