Subject: [Leica] IMG: Family shots
From: cedric.agie at gmail.com (Cedric Agie)
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2013 12:12:28 +0200

Hi there on the other side of the Channel,

 Since the age of 13 my son, now also 18, showed the same behaviour. This
reassures me and thank you for the technical infos.

 I don't have a DMR yet but I happen to have the same studio lights. Be
careful because they are real bazookas. It's not easy to keep so many kids
together in a studio, in front of a lens and take several good and sharp
shots. Your photos show a good beginning.

 In general you can go high key with kids but not so with adults and
certainly not with elderly people. Going digital recently I soon learned to
underexpose a little bit. With the Leica R-8 & 9 you have the chance to
have a flashmeter in your camera. Go for the faces but keep details in the
highlights and in the shadows. Not easy with digital photography. This
often gives a problem with ladies who don't like to see their wrinkels. So
go for very soft light.

 If  you are in a hurry inside a building with one person, there is an easy
trick to begin with. Place your subject next to a window (not from behind)
in a (withe) corner with a reflector on the other side or a softened far
away low power  flash. Some experienced photographer call this the Rembrand
portrait.

 You can do the same in a studio. Put the person in a (white) corner and a
softened flash on its side, not in front. Do the same with a black screen
or something else, not too close, behind the subject. Gradually change the
angle of the flash between the side and the front. You can then add and/or
change the direction of  a second and even a third flash. Never use them
with the same power and don't put them at the same distance. I prefer semi
translucent umbrellas in most cases. Or use the normal umbrellas and add a
second semi translucent umbrella in front of it. The Elinchroms do have a
second  fitting for this. Or use thin withe fabrics or translucent tracing
paper, because most studio flashes are very harsh, especially for portraits.

 With digital you can learn really fast and also in a studio.

Good luck and have a lot of fun,

Cedric