Subject: [Leica] Ah, the delicious task of selecting a kit for my trip
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 09:10:55 -0700

Vick Ko ASKED:

>I have a trip to Vancouver coming up and the highlight is my mom's 80th
>birthday.
>
> I have the delicious task of selecting a kit for the trip.  So, the
> purpose is a large Chinese dinner banquet, and general shooting.
>
> Some thoughts:
>
> - Xpan II with 45mm lens.  One lens, wide for the banquet, normal for
> portraits, one camera.
> - Hasselblad 40mm and 100mm.  Wide and portrait, heavy metal, although
> slow (f4) for inside.  No flash planned.
> - Leica M9 with 50 and 24mm.  The digital solution.
> - Leica R9 with 15mm and 80mm
>
> Which kit would you choose?

Hi Vick,

KISS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

Given over the years I worked a combination of  3 M's whatever models and 3
R's whatever models or variations of those, sometimes 2 of each depending on
the assignment and lens combinations required was always the gear setting
criteria. All hanging off the body at the same time.

In your case, lens lengths and widths, it's the same thing. Probably lot's
of "family action moments." And camera type would be the main decision
maker.

The M's went around the neck and the R's one off each shoulder. R's always
with motor drives. Then when I became aware of Tom Abrahamson's RAPID
WINDERS all my M's were equipped with them. Works wonders for a one eyed
photographer using only his left eye! No need to take the camera away from
your face while advancing. Right eyed photogs don't have this problem. And I
learned how to use the RAPIDWINDER as "rapidwinders" and could get 3 frames
off in about 1 1/2 seconds! :-)

I can't imagine a mixture of film and digital as that means hauling film and
changing same. A big pain in the butt!

I'm sure you know the location you'll be shooting in and will you require 2
super-wide lenses? The 15mm and the 24mm? Or will one or the other do the
job? One wide camera that's all you need, cuts down gear.

If the 24 works wide enough forget the 15mm as that's a heavy hunk of glass
and if all you're doing is duplicating gear it's not worth the extra effort
to carry it.

2 M's and the R with the 80mm lens and that's it. 3 Cameras in all. And I'll
bet you can easily cover it all.

My biggest problem with the combination we see here is, using film and
digital Leica's at the same time. It defeats the rapid use of gear having to
change film. And I'd bet whichever camera body is digital will become the
main camera and you "WILL SWITCH LENSES TO KEEP RIGHT ON GOING!" Instead of
changing film unless you have a break in time and not get caught with your
back against the wall missing something while film changing. :-(

The very bottom-line is. Two cameras! An M with the 24mm and the R with the
80mm! :-) Just thought I'd throw that in to confuse the choice! ;-) ;-)

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Replies: Reply from vick.ko at sympatico.ca (Vick Ko) ([Leica] Ah, the delicious task of selecting a kit for my trip)