Subject: [Leica] My last aftermarket battery just died
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 16:17:53 -0700

I have two Leica batteries that came with my M8 order in 2007.  In late
2010 one would not hold a charge. Later I deep-cyled it twice, and it
started working again. A charge doesn't last quite as long as it used to
on either Leica battery, but they still work after 6 years.

I also have two aftermarket batteries. I bought in late 2010, just
before a trip abroad, because of the above problem with the Leica
battery. At the time, genuine Leica batteries were unavailable. Like
Nathan, I bought them from a reputable domestic battery dealer rather
than an unknown Asian ebay supplier. A full charge on these batteries
actually lasts a little longer than the original Leica batteries did.
The one quirk they have is that the M8 battery indicator is accurate
only if I run the battery almost down to the wire before I re-charge
it.  I'll live.  Beyond that, no complaints.

The early aftermarket batteries had a lower mAh (milliamp-hours) rating
than the Leica battery. That, plus the uncertain provenance and QC of
the Asian ebay suppliers may account for some of the problems. From what
I've heard on other forums, if the mAh rating is as good or better than
Leica's, and the supplier is reputable, you're probably going to be OK.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from cedric.agie at gmail.com (Cedric Agie) ([Leica] My last aftermarket battery just died)