Subject: [Leica] My last aftermarket battery just died
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 07:00:05 -0700

I currently have 2 OEM batteries.. one I bought new, one I got with my used
M9.

The biggest difference I can tell between aftermarket batteries and Genuine
Leica batteries is the useful life.

My original M8 battery is now living with its new owner.... but when I sold
that camera, 2 years after buying it new, the battery was in like new
shape... it held a charge, etc.

The aftermarket batteries I bought to supplement the Leica battery were all
dead ( would not take and or hold a charge) within 2 years... some in a few
months.  ( this is why I had a dozen batteries... some died quickly and
needed to be replaced for an upcoming trip, others ( mostly the first ones I
bought) lasted longer.

With a price relationship of about 8:1, I can tolerate a bit of shorter life
expectancy.... but a few months is unacceptable.

I don't need 12 batteries... I could be comfortable with maybe 3, maybe 4
batteries.  That allows for a few days of shooting and forgetfulness of
charging every night.

The other advantage of 4 batteries is that for a short trip, I would not
have to carry the charger.... a further weight savings.

For those who believe their OEM batteries are "chipped", specially coded,
have internal secret codes, or otherwise are of a special build: nonsense.
There is no such coding.  As far as aftermarket batteries blowing up during
charging... use a good (Leica or  Delkin) charger... they protect the
battery from overheating, the cause of the battery blowing up.

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Message from cedric.agie at gmail.com (Cedric Agie) ([Leica] My last aftermarket battery just died)
Message from steve.barbour at gmail.com (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] My last aftermarket battery just died)