Subject: [Leica] Encounter while geocaching
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 13:04:46 -0800

Thanks, Nathan. Result of always having a camera with me.

I bought that high-end point and shoot because I was told of a hack that
would enable RAW output on Canon point @ shoots. Well, like many amateur
bits of code, it was bloody defective. The RAW output (actually DNG) had an
artifact in the form of geometrically regular damn awful pseudo-noise that
noise reduction software would not touch because of its regularity. So I
just settle for the out-of-camera jpg and whatever LR can do with it.

My only major regret is that I didn't buy it a week later. The next minor
model upgrade, at the same price, was 16 megapixels instead of 12.

No Leica but not too bad if I avoid the maximum zoom.

Herbert Kanner
kanner at acm.org
650-326-8204