Subject: [Leica] IMG Saturated Sunday... BOKEH<<< WHERE???
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2013 17:13:59 +1000

Hey Ted, since you asked... ;-)
Bokeh refers to what the out of focus parts look like and sometimes people
mean it to be how little out of focus points of light are shown.
If I shot this with an old Leica lens design the you might see a different
effect moving from an in focus item towards out of focus. Old lenses are
said to make that transition very smooth (so called creamy bokeh).
A very modern lens is better corrected optically. That means that the
change from in focus to out of focus can be more abrupt because it is
reproducing the dot more accurately.  Really, bokeh depends on a lot more
than lens design. The distance from subject and your focus
setting/decision, what is in the background, the aperture used , exposure
decision etc etc. Other stuff also affects the shape of the out of focus
points of light (other optical imperfections or aberrations). I can show
you very different bokeh from the same lens.

Just look at the photo again if you like. Look at the edges of the leaves
and the little droplets in the out of focus parts. Taking the example of a
round dot of light, neutral bokeh might show you an very even round area
with fairly sharp edges, an old lens might show you much softer edges
fading into the rest. An over corrected lens might show you a dot of light
with a distinct ring around the edge. Most people don't like that.
With a mirror lens you get donuts!
With modern Leica lenses like the Summilux 50 ASPH and the APO Summicron 75
ASPH you can sometimes see the exact shape of the aperture blades like a
cookie cutter. That bothers some people too.

*If you want to take more interesting pictures,
stand in front of more interesting stuff* -- Joe McNally

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman