Subject: [Leica] IMG: February is duck month
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:20:49 +1000

Cedric this is a long standing topic over the last three years. Leica
Camera judged that while R lens owners of course would likely have been
pleased there were just not sufficient customers to make the R10 viable in
the market. Remember that no R lenses had even been made since the start of
2009 at the latest. Production probably stopped much earlier and the
existing stock was sold off at large discounts and presumably at a loss.

Would enough people have paid 7-8000 Eur for an R10 body? The production of
a whole new line of AF lenses would truly have strained their resources
too. Remember that the S2 and M9 were both in development at that time, One
completely in-house. The S lenses brought their own unique challenges too
(the Central Shutters especially).

Maike was responsible for that program but I doubt that she wanted to stop
it . It would not be her sole decision in any case of course. You need to
talk to Stefan Daniel ;-) I was there when he first told a room full of
Leica photogs that the R10 was cancelled in mid 2009.The development of the
system was certainly not complete and the costs were to be comparable to
the S program, for example.
I think that Maike is now responsible for the S and X programs actually.

*If you want to take more interesting pictures,
stand in front of more interesting stuff* -- Joe McNally

Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman