Subject: [Leica] any Sony RX 1 users
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 15:22:36 -0800

I put a new version of the RX1 v. M9/Biogon 2.8 image comparison at
http://www.paulroark.com/RX1-v-ZM-at.28.jpg

In this one I added a panel adjusting for the pixel count differences
of the 2 sensors.

On the focus issue, the good news on the RX1 for me is that it had an
"infinity stop."  This is essential for me when doing dual focus, hand
held shots, which is rather frequent.  The scale in the viewfinder
indicates distance.  When the marker gets to the end, further turning
of the lens does nothing.  (Everything in that camera is fly by wire.)
 As far as I could tell the infinity focus had been set reasonably
"correctly."  Again, of course, that would be a compromise across a
wavy field.  The central area of the lens and the very edge appeared
to be close to their peaks.

I have also posted the MTF curves for the optics involved, as well as
the DxO sensor summary.  See
http://www.paulroark.com/Leica-Zeiss-Sony-RX1-MTF-DxO.jpg .

Looking at these curves, you'll note that the Sony lens does not show
the values for 40 lp/mm.  Looking at the visual results, I'd guess
that Zeiss emphasized maximum contrast at an 8x10 size print and/or
the typical monitor size of their expected market.  Between the
optic's high low-resolution contrast and the overall image's higher
apparent contrast, the Sony makes a striking monitor presentation.

I've uploaded the RX1 image taken at f/2.8, but reduced in size to
what might show on a typical monitor (for example mine; many on this
list have much better).
See http://www.paulroark.com/RX1-28-defaults_DSC0002.JPG

The image was processed through the Sony raw converter at default
settings.  These include image sharpening and "automatic" noise
reduction.

One potentially major factor in how a prospective  purchaser might
react to the camera's performance is the print or image size that is
the target for the image files.  For my 22 x 30 inch B&W landscape
prints, I need sharpness at the pixel level.  The MTF line I pay the
most attention to is the 40 lp/mm line.  That is where the Biogon
performs.

It may be that Sony is targeting maximum apparent sharpness at the
monitor level.  There, the Sony images really do perform well; they
are sharp and bright.  But that is not the output I'm targeting.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Message from billcpearce at cox.net (Bill Pearce) ([Leica] any Sony RX 1 users)