Subject: [Leica] Slightly OT
From: photo.forrest at earthlink.net (Phil Forrest)
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 17:07:57 -0500

Ted,
Thanks for your e-mail which put a few things into perspective for me.
My glass is half full, not half empty or more.
Looking back to 2000 when I made up my mind to become a photographer
for the Navy, no one said it could be done because I was in an
undermanned specialty and I had a few unique qualifications that the
community wanted to keep. I began putting in requests to become a
photographer in 2000, partially out of spite, partially out of desire
to really do this. My third request was granted and then I was off onto
the rest of my life.
Come 2005 when I left the Navy,  started applying for jobs everywhere,
even working for Stars and Stripes right back where I had been, in
Iraq.
Since then, I've "given up" once every few years. Maybe that is more
like a reset button during a time of funk where I was just sick of the
hustle. I have sold all my gear (except my dear M4 and my DR Summicron)
several times over. Last year I was going to become a paramedic but
decided that it wouldn't be good for my psyche since I tend to take
work home with me.
Then I was working the temp job in New Mexico and got inspired again,
this time by the abject poverty I saw in South Dakota on the Sioux
reservation. The faces of the children there were almost the exact same
faces of the children I saw in Iraq and I was stunned that such
conditions exist here in "the richest country on earth." I shouldn't
have been but seeing things first hand is different than reading about
dire conditions.
So I keep winding up at this same place after a few months
with the old Leica, back to being stubborn enough to only do one thing
that I want to do most in life. And to be consumed by it during this
time when I pretty much know that work is going to be slim but I'm more
stubborn than most.
If I were to really quit I would have done it a long time ago. I think
you saw this but I didn't. Many thanks to you Ted and to all the LUG
community. (And this comes only very shortly before my first good
paying day-rate photo job with a network here in the Hudson valley.)

Sincerest regards to all,
Phil Forrest