Subject: [Leica] [IMG] Retro Simplicity
From: imra at iol.ie (Douglas Barry)
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2013 14:58:10 -0000

Before megapixels there was this.... The Ilford Sporti. In truth, not very
sporty, but you could use it as a rugby ball if you lost yours in the middle
of a match!

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Oddments/Ilford_Sporti_1.jpg.html

I'm currently clearing out my collection of cameras, as due to my wife's
illness, I just don't have any time. I found this one's single speed shutter
was on the blink. So, I took out the tool kit and this
is what I found.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DouglasBray/Oddments/Ilford_Sporti_8.jpg.html

The camera must be the simplest thing ever made - bar a pinhole one. It's
only got a one speed shutter which decided to go on a go-slow, so I fixed it
with judicious tweaking and the gentle application of lubricant. The camera
has two apertures Sunny & Cloudy. Note the aperture "arm" which controls the
amount of light - the height of technology in 1959. Anyway, it works well
now!

Soon, it'll be joining my "Leica fake" (Halina 35X) and my Agfa Billy 1
which are currently up for sale on eBay. I used to have over sixty cameras
but hopefully I'll get them down to under twenty within the next few months.

Douglas
_________
Douglas Barry
Bray, Co. Wicklow