Subject: [Leica] Schoolhouses in Indiana
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2013 02:25:13 -0500

When these schoolhouses were used, all students living near the school
attended class together, regardless of the student's age/grade level. One
teacher had to teach all the grades, so students got relatively little
instruction each day, since the teacher had to give separate lessons to
each grade level of students in the class.

In the early to mid 20th century, the states began to 'consolidate'
schools. They built a smaller number of much larger schools, each school
having many classrooms and many teachers. Each teacher taught only one
grade level, so the students were being taught lessons at their grade
level all day long. The consolidated schools also allowed the addition of
things like libraries, sports facilities, and kitchens where the school
could provide hot lunches to the students. This is still the model of
public education here.

When the new schools opened, the old ones were sold off by the government,
and private owners did with the buildings as they pleased. Some were
preserved, like the one in Besancon. Some were demolished so the land
could be used for something else. Some were renovated to serve as homes,
others turned into garages or barns. Many were just left to rot. A few of
them around here house small businesses. I know of one that is an art
gallery, and another that is a hairdresser's shop.

The transition from one room schoolhouses to the large modern schools was
made possible by the spread of the automobile, and especially by the
invention of the school bus to transport kids to schools located too far
from their homes for them to walk to. School consolidation happened in
cities much earlier than in rural areas because cities usually had public
transit (streetcars, etc.) that students could use to get to school, while
rural areas did not. Fort Wayne still has three public high schools that
were built in the 1920s that are still in use (all three have been
extensively renovated a few times over the years to keep them up to modern
standards). Another one from that period, Elmhurst High School, closed a
couple years ago as a budget cutting measure. That's the school I
graduated from in 1994, and it is where Peter and David Turnley went to
school in the 1970s. We had the same photo teacher!

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography

Become a fan on Facebook