Subject: [Leica] Schoolhouses in Indiana
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 18:10:04 -0500

Yeah, its just sitting there. I don't know who owns it anymore. Back when
I photographed it, the schoolhouse was owned by an elderly woman whose
house was across the street (I stood in her front yard to photograph the
schoolhouse). She said her mother had been a student at the school! A few
years later, the old woman died. I know it is relatively well preserved
inside, because a historic preservation group was allowed inside to
photograph it several years ago.

Most of these schoolhouses are in very bad shape. Most are gutted inside
(they originally had walls separating the classroom from the entranceway
and coat room), many have been used as barns or corn storage buildings
after cutting away one of the outside walls. There are several that were
converted into homes, and are still inhabited and well maintained, but
that involved destroying the interior to build walls for the various rooms
a house has, and adding plumbing, which none of these ever had. They make
poor houses, in my opinion, because they are VERY small. I know of one
that is a two story schoolhouse! It is an art gallery now.

Most of the schoolhouses were built to a more or less standard design. A
few have two classrooms. Most in northeast Indiana were built between 1880
and 1910 and abandoned in the 1950s. There used to be one schoolhouse
every two miles on a grid pattern so that no student had to walk more than
one mile to get to school....this was before automobiles were widely
available, and long before school buses came into use.

I have photos of more schoolhouses here:
http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-results.php?category=48

Most on that page are outside Fort Wayne, but one is in Kentucky and a
couple othersare in other parts of Indiana. I have a lot more photos to
add, once I scan them.

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography