Subject: [Leica] (Now) Nikon 24-120
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 01:18:11 -0500

Certainly standard of the industry if not better imaging quality and very
satisfying seeing.
To me it really would not make sense for a company I have to say I certainly
respect, Nikon to have their step up lens (from a basic kit lens) be a
looser. If they can make a bottom of the line lens be a solid performer then
why would the totally blow it for people who want to spend some real extra
money and get some glass with more functionality.?
Its just that idea perhaps that a "do all" lens rubs many pros the wrong way
and may have rubbed Nikon the wrong way too with some of its first out
earlier AI versions of this lens they were doing some odd experimenting
which did not pan out its a bit of a mystery from all I can find out.
But the idea "this is the only lens I'll ever need period" may have just
rubbed them ever so slightly the wrong way. Both Nikon and the shooters. And
the reviewers. And that stuck in the digital age though the first af was a
sure looser which didn't make you try to not like it.
And the 24-120 was already the in lens to not like.
But in a lot of cases I can copy down my f stops on a note card if I forget
them the G glass tends to get it together.
If you cant shoot Leica than Nikon is not such a terrible way to fly.
And they go together like peanut butter and jelly.