Subject: [Leica] Noctilux
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2013 02:48:01 -0500

I've shot Kodachrome with my f1 and had them projected with a Leica
projection lens there was nothing muddy about the images anybody saw they
just let out an audible gasp at their brilliance.  And I've also shot a
variety of films and printed them on a variety of sizes of paper. For the
holiday season I sent out darkroom fiber 16x20's of my friends I'd shot with
the f1 noct. The term Muddy I don't think has ever come up  then or on the
same page with Noctilux ever before now.
We should not think these idiot bloggers or legit.

By the way when you're shooting in direct sun around noon you're stopping
down there's no way you're going to shoot it with out extreme neutral
filtration and the Noctilux works great at any f stop despite what you may
read.
Basically for most of my Noctilux shooting it was an f 1000th of a second
and be there kind of deal. I just left the shutter speed there and used
whatever f stop came up for it. A shame the M7 was aperture preferred it
would have been great to have a shutter preferred though I guess that was
impossible with the existing glass.
The lens is totally useful as a normal lens which just happens to open up to
f1. There is no crazy need to only use it at f1.
I'm hoping the lens works well with the new M and Monochrom as I'd juse mine
often when I get one of both of them.