Subject: [Leica] R3 owners.... AT
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 14:13:17 -0800

Just for fun, I decided to do some directory scans for various RAW file
formats. I started shooting digital seriously in 2004. Back in the film
era, I was 100% Leica M, except for the couple of years in the 90s when
I shot an Olympus OM-2. Here's what I found:

- From 2004-2010, I shot 75% Leica M.
- In 2011, I shot 62% Leica M.
- In 2012, I shot 34% Leica M.

Other tidbits:
- In the film era, I used to shoot less than 25 rolls per year. About
700-900 frames each year.
- In 2004, the year I got my first serious digital camera (Olympus E-1),
I shot 27 rolls of film. Each subsequent year, I shot less film. After
May 2007, when I got my M8, I shot virtually no film.
- My average number of shots per year since I went digital has gone up,
but not hugely. From 700-900 film frames per year, to about 1300 frames
per year in the last two years.
- It was only when I got my M8 that digital replaced film for the truly
important stuff.
- The convenience of 4/3 and Micro 4/3 has sometimes trumped absolute
image quality for me. My heart still prefers the Leica M8. The Olympus
OM-D E-M5 is my first camera that is light enough that I'll carry it
around, *and* has image quality that's even in the M8's league. And the
M8 still wins in good light.
- As you get older, and assuming you're not a pro with client
requirements, the camera you'll carry often wins over the "best" camera.
- Price matters for most of us. And in the digital era, having a Leica
habit is far more expensive than in the film era. If I didn't already
have my Leica lenses when the M8 came out, I might have made a different
decision.

--Peter