Subject: [Leica] any Sony rx 1 users
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2013 16:44:12 -0500

Likewise in the intrigued department and I think its captured the
imagination of the photo industry; the Rollei 35 concept has finally gone
digital.
It may be that it turned out that what was holding back putting a full frame
sensor in a pocketable body was not technology; but the marketing people who
felt that the public would not go for the price point. I'm banking on the
concept and camera being a success and competition bringing the price down
in phase two a tiny bit down the road.
Almost all the blurbs you're reading on the camera blogs mention Leica in
the second paragraph. As it will truly give the Leica M shooting market a
run for its money. In respect that in past film days a Rollei 35 16x20 print
was not discernibly different from a print from a full sized SLR.
There's no reason to assume that in digital terms the results from the full
frame compact Sony will not also be indiscernible from heavy bulky monster
DSLR's and our slightly more compact and lighter ultra premium rangefinder.
The price is sky high but as the DPreview guy says its cheaper than a Leica
M lens.
Its just nowhere near  the price point that the cropped compacts are being
sold for. As in cheap.
And they were also being termed as Leica killers.
Wrongly.
We pretend its all about MP's megapixels buy toy cameras and say its what we
have to get when we can't afford a Leica M digital.
It just that the gap between a  $7000 and $700 camera is a bit big.
And now there's  the RX1 for $2800 to fit right in between.
Both price wise and results wise.

It will get a lot more real when Nikon, Olympus etc chime in with their full
frame less expensive options ... With a less ostentatiously gorgeous hunk of
glass up front.
Leica the Rollei 35 people will buy the camera because they want the lens.
You just cant pry it off.

- like the 35mm compacts of the 90's compact digital full frames will remain
a premium item.
A gentleman's camera. Or gentle women's.
It is why people buy Leica.
What we need is a digital Barnack.
And that will be a Leica X2 full frame. Maybe called an X3.

The RX1 is just not free with a box of cracker jacks. You gotta put down
some real money for it. I see an X3 going for 4 grand.