Subject: [Leica] The story vs. the individual masterpiece Part II
From: chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford)
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2013 04:01:40 -0500

Damn it, I hit Send accidentally before I finished writing, so here is the
conclusion:

In the last four years since I came back home to Indiana, I have developed
a number of stories, some newly discovered and some built on photos I had
done in the past, which I revisited and went deeper with.

I still try to make each photograph interesting, but many of them by
necessity serve as connecting tissue in a larger story, so they cannot
stand aloe and be fully appreciated. Basically I have gone from being a
purely artistic photographer to a visual historian.

I have many individual photos that sell very well, but it seems most are
from that early period, like these:

http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?product=35

http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?product=50

http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?product=38

http://chriscrawfordphoto.com/chris-details.php?product=42

Those are four of my best selling images; I have sold many, many prints of
each over many years. They're gorgeous images, and if I ever become world
famous I would expect that those would be counted among my 'masterpieces'.

Still, looking at my earlier work vs. my later work, I feel my later work
has more depth and more importance. What do you guys think of this? The
masterpiece or the story?

--
Chris Crawford
Fine Art Photography