Subject: [Leica] Journalist buys a Leica
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2013 20:34:02 -0700

George Lottermoser wrote:
I find all the posturing "against" the various photographic markets so very
silly.  Most of the photographers we now consider the "masters" worked
across numerous market areas at various times in their careers.
I agree, George.  We shouldn't forget that HCB trained as an artist, hung
with the surrealists, studied with Cubist painter Andre Lhote, showed work
at Julien Levy's art gallery in NY, and also was co-founder of Magnum.  The
original cover of The Decisive Moment was by Matisse!

In recent years Magnum has been actively broadening their membership to
include more art-trained photographers (like Martin Parr and Alec Soth) who
also work in documentary mode.

The HCB listing in Britannica Online sums it up pretty succinctly,
describing him as the "French photographer whose humane, spontaneous
photographs helped establish photojournalism as an art form. "

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Journalist buys a Leica)