Subject: [Leica] Don McCullin
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2012 09:21:22 -0800

Tina Manley OFFERED:

Good morning Tina,
Thank you for the heads-up on the McCullin interview!

The surprising thing is.... He and I never met faceto face over the years,
but were
close a few times to find out later. But what he says about feelings?
And "Celebrity crap?" I have the similar emotions.  His career and mine are
similar in nature, although he has far more "super bad violence than I."
However,  we've always had a "PURPOSE!" for and of doing the assignments
whatever they may be.

Although physically at 76, he's in a much great wreck than I at 84.  But
it's the passion to do the assignments and the subjects there in that is
such a driving force to go on. Hurting, mentally depressing at times and
dragging yer butt so bad you almost wish you'd die right there where you
are. :-(

But the main driving element is.... "HAVING THE PURPOSE!" A sound reason for
shooting the assignment! It's something far more meaningful than.... "going
out to take snaps for no other reason than doing that.... "taking some
snaps just as a time killer!"

This is quite a different feeling than a "quiet time in the garden" coming
down from the highs of 29 hours a day of madness and mayhem you've been
through week after week!

A quiet garden time camera in hand, can be the greatest comforting medicine
in the world! From fears of stepping on? Surprise! "BOOM!" No legs! In the
garden? Maybe a bee sting at most?

But war photography didn't turn me on as it has others. Two were enough,
1967 and 1968 and it was game over! NO MORE! Even though asked to go to
Afghanistan three times with Canadian troops. I turned them down!
I love life and the excitement of being with "living people" doing exciting
things. I'd much rather have the "PURPOSE of photographing medical people in
hospitals at home, than the blood and guts spread all over from a land mine
blast!" :-(

Don's interview is most interesting. But he has a very strong "PURPOSE!" In
this case, "AGE HAS NO MEANING!"  If one has not experienced this aspect of
photography and being a photojournalist one might find it hard to
understand. But it's there and a huge driving force to go on.... "Until
death do us part!"

Thank you for bringing Don's interview to our attention.

cheers,
Dr. ted

Replies: Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Don McCullin)