Subject: [Leica] book recommendation
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Sun, 9 Dec 2012 22:29:47 -0700

Sonny -- In an earlier post you mentioned covering civil rights protests
during your work as a journalist.  I have a great book by a print
journalist, Curtis Wilkie, who covered a number of similar events and wrote
about his experiences.  The title is "Dixie",and it's a great record of
those sad, crazy times if you haven't already read it.  He's my age (72) so
his accounts really ring true to my own memories of that era.  There's also
a good book about the civil rights struggle in Oxford, NC called "Blood
Done Sign My Name" by Timothy Tyson.  Ric, have you read that one?

I wasn't a journalist and didn't really experience much of the civil rights
action until the King assassination in 1968, when I lived in Memphis.  I
did go to the march that followed the assassination and took some photos,
which I've posted here before.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE