Subject: [Leica] Desensitization
From: lew1716 at gmail.com (Lew Schwartz)
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2012 14:39:50 -0500

I respectfully disagree, Leon. I have been thinking about this for some
time. The idea of desensitization is central to Susan Sontag's criticism of
Arbus' work and others, including numerous war photographs and photos of
atrocities. In my opinion, it's just plain wrong. It is a nice sentiment we
share among ourselves and our friends that we are altruistic enough to
intervene in such situations, yet, most often, no one does. What seems to
happen is that standers by, who cannot tell whether the aggressor is
justified or just crazy, retire to a safe distance and watch.  The
photographer in this case did more than anyone else, and, other motives
aside, in so doing reminded us of how isolated and indifferent we can all
be to each other.