Subject: [Leica] Cameras Real Pros Use
From: Frank.Dernie at btinternet.com (Frank Dernie)
Date: Sat, 1 Dec 2012 09:25:16 +0000

The digital Leica Ms have been a fantastic success for Leica. They have been
in great demand, with months of waiting lists and the increase in demand has
doubled the used value of some of the lenses.
The thing that has been a massive failure for Leica has been their reflex
cameras. However good they are they have never sold in sufficient quantity
to recoup design, development and tooling costs. Being loyal to their R
customers nearly bankrupted the company, so they were absolutely right
(disappointingly) to eventually drop the R.
In the quantities a Leica reflex is likely to sell the S2 is perhaps a good
choice. Dearer to develop and make than a 36x24 DSLR, but probably not by
much, yet possible by virtue of the cache of its bigger sensor to sell at a
price which gives half a chance of washing its face financially. I hope they
sell sufficient of them.
The Nikon F was a watershed camera. It has a massively crude mirror and
shutter assembly but, guess what, nobody cared and it was solid and
relatively inexpensive with excellent lenses. It changed everything.
FD

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Cameras Real Pros Use)