Subject: [Leica] Fuji X 100 versus Leica M9
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 15:36:53 -0500

I think if I may add on to this thought for a person shooting many years
well I've had my darkroom in the mid 60's and doing jobs in the mid 70's we
were taught in in practice what we did was
Fill the frame
 with what we were shooting.
So there was less out of focus. Not a big wide out of focus area.
So our shots did not suffer too much from a lens which had bad bokeh I
think.

I also think that with the exception of the use of specialized high speed
glass like the Noctilux where the whole point was f1 or others we didn't do
all or most of our shooting wide open.
We stopped down at least a couple to make sure we hit our focus.
I can only speak for my self on the long run of course and the photographers
I knew as we were up and coming and in the college darkroom.
And in later practice we didn't want our clients complaining that important
elements of the shot were out of focus. I do think for a lot of stuff a lot
of photographer stopped down as much as we can and got as much sharp as we
possibly could.

I was asked if my Zeiss for Hasselblad glass had good bokeh and I simply
didn't know as all my shooting as f11 with a Norman battery strobe or Balcar
studio strobe and or it was on a tripod and still at f11. Or 16. Or maybe in
a pinch f8.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography