Subject: [Leica] MM DNG Files from Tina test
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 09:17:57 +1000

You can take a look with some diagrams (although there are some typos) on
the Leica website. Basically they are saying that the new custom sensor
places the photosites closer to the front in the sensor 'sandwich" and the
micro lenses are a different shape. Reportedly those changes mean that the
sensor is much less sensitive to steeper incidence angles that are a
characteristic of the short lens register and some wide angles designs in
particular. That should mean that the camera does not have to make the same
corrections in firmware that are now necessary. There is quite a lot that
has to be done in M9 processing to make those lenses work well and it was
possibly one of their largest technological hurdles.
I will be very surprised if the M typ 240 images are 'less sharp' .  Apart
from the sensor output some of the higher ISO/noise performance comes from
how clever the processing is in camera. For example the new Nikon (and the
big one, Canon) dSLRs have very high ISO options. Some of their performance
though reflects what is much better processing in camera.

For example, you might be surprised to see a comparison of the M9 and the
D7000 or D600 (Sony sensors) files at 1000 ISO with all of the NR turned
off.

I certainly plan to find out how well the new M typ 240 does ;-)
.

Cheers,
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman