Subject: [Leica] 6 bit permanent flange adapters: has anyone tried one?
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 15:18:50 -0800

Yes.  It is not rocket science to machine up an adapter with coding divots.
BUT.....

The problem is whatever you call focus accuracy with the camera cam.  As you
have read, or know from experience, a lot of lenses need focus adjustment (
collimation?) to be in calibration with an Digi-M.  Even with the original
flange.  Accepting that fact......

I have taken this approach... for those lenses needing adjustment anyway, I
buy the coded flange from EBay, change it myself, then send the lens off to
DAG for collimation.  If I had Leica do this, it would cost about $250 plus
round trip shipping.  DAG charges about $100 plus shipping and the flange (
$20 or less).  So it is half price.

There are those that say.... the non-oem flanges will be too thick/thin, and
therefore you will lose RF accuracy from your factory flange... yes, true,
but I started with a lens whose flange did not match anyway.... so the
collimation needed to be done anyway..  net zero difference.

>From experience,. This is a fine way to save a few bucks, if the lens is not
in calibration.  BUT.... if you own a Tri-Elmar, be prepared for a
surprise... there is the worlds' tiniest spring that is connected internally
to the lens.  This spring must be removed and replaced when changing the
mount. Ain't easy. And on this lens, I wish I had gone the Leica route.

There are 6 versions of the flange... 3 each ( focal length) for 5 screw and
6 screw mount flanges.  Get the right ones.....

Fill the coding with white and black nail polish.... who knew such paint
existed?... apply with a toothpick to fill the "pool".

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

Just saw these on eBay. You actually remove the rear plate from your lens
and replace it with one of these. Then you look up the lens code and fill in
the counter sunk depressions with (I guess) black enamel or magic marker.
The idea is that by having actual depressions to fill in, they won't wear
off like other diy solutions.