Subject: [Leica] IMG: Whistler's Sunrise
From: grduprey at mchsi.com (grduprey at mchsi.com)
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 09:21:18 -0600 (CST)

Bob,

Nice story and nice bench shot.

Cheers,
Gene

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Adler" <rgacpa at gmail.com>
To: "Leica Users Group" <lug at leica-users.org>
Sent: Friday, November 9, 2012 2:48:03 AM GMT -06:00 US/Canada Central

Woke up at 5:30am to try to grab a sunrise, I had pre-spotted a good
swinging bench to shoot and got down to it at about 5:50am. Set up my
tripod and camera just across the walking path pointed at the bench swing
and was standing behind the camera making adjustments looking at the bench.

So along comes a couple about my age, the guy looks me in the eye and sits
down on the bench with their coffee and proceeds to sit waiting for the
sunrise. From the straight look at me and then sitting on the bench which I
was obviously taking a picture of, I figured it wasn't going to do much
good to ask them to move. The sun had not risen yet; I figured I had about
10 minutes before the light became nice and soft just before sunrise.

What to do? I really didn't want a confrontation as I hadn't had my coffee
yet. So I figured, if this guy looked at me as if saying, "it's a free
world and I can damn well sit where I want" it was also a free world for me
to do what I wanted. I started whistling. I choose a nonsensical, made-up
as I went along "tune" with highs and lows, random synchopation and,
basically really annoying. It totally ruined a peaceful sunrise experience;
not too loud, but irritating and constant. I was not going to stop. I just
happily continued on whistling, pretending to adjust my camera, fiddle and
basically avoid any eye contact what so ever. I could feel the irritation
radiating from the bench. But I just kept on whistling...

After about 10 minutes, They got up and stepped to the side of the bench. I
immediately stopped whistling, waited a few seconds for a bit more glow and
began taking photos. I never whistled another note and they did not venture
into my field of view and after a few minutes left. I felt the guy wanted
to come over and say something, but I think I had given him exactly what he
had given me, so there really was no offensive (no pun intended) tact he
could take.

The sunrise wasn't all that great, but I really like the story!
 http://www.rgaphoto.com/Kauai/content/Sunrise1Pano_large.html

Best,
Whistlin' Bob

--