Subject: [Leica] YOU CAN'T DO FREE PHOTOS ANYMORE!
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2012 15:37:38 -0700

Hi crew,
It appears I'm finally beginning to return to the living after a horrendous
number of hours during a return flight and airport sleep over's!?????
aaaaaaaccccccckkkkkkk!!!!!!! nearly died! :-( :-(

Those adventures later. :-)

But this post is the kind of request about submitting photos for a major
exhibition on a topic. No need naming the organization. I have deleted the
name & author. Their copied letter to me at the bottom.

In any event this was my response!

Hello Aaaaaaaaaa,
A question regarding my potential exhibition photo?

Prey tell how much compensation can I expect for the troubles in search time
and selecting? Printing, shipping and writing the story to go with it?
Paying another photographer to take a recent portrait of myself as you've
requested?

Someone is footing the bill for this complete show? ...... Well then someone
is economically gaining from it? We both know it should be the
photographers' submitting! Well OK they should all be receiving some income
of sorts! Their name in a list of hundreds doesn't put bread on the table
these days! Certainly when hundreds of professionals are being laid off all
over North America! Those surviving? Are doing so in quite a meager state!
:-( Your "freebie" request obviously compounds that situation!  "WORK FOR
FREE AND WE'LL PUT YOUR NAME ON A LIST!"

In effect, you are asking me to do a bunch of work for nothing! While you
receive a salary for your position as coordinator and your time to contact
me and 99 others! Don't you see something wrong with this equation?

May I offer you look at my web page. TEDGRANTPHOTO.COM  Then you select what
you feel is the most iconic and moving photo and we'll discuss this later.
Obviously when you have a financial number ready.

Thank you for considering me as one of the hundred best Canadian
photographers.
Thank you most kindly!

cheers,
Dr. Ted Grant