Subject: [Leica] M8 shutter crapped out
From: cummer at netvigator.com (H&E Cummer)
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2012 17:49:07 -0700

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 7:09 PM, Ric Carter <ricc at embarqmail.com> wrote:

24 hours into vacation on Ocracoke Island my M8 shutter crapped out

> just over a year since it returned from a $400+ CLA from Leica
>
> Looked inside and found the shutter blades piled up, one bulging toward
> lens
>
> was hoping to see an m9 price drop and maybe grab one in the next few
> months, but this sure changes the timing concerns
>
> anyone know shutter replacement cost?
>
> suggestions?

Hi Ric,
So sorry to hear about your bad shutter. My original M8 had the same problem
after 4 months of use.
I sent it from Northern Ontario to Solms and after many adventures and a
month on the road it finally
arrived and was replaced. The new camera was delivered to me on October 1,
China's National holiday,
and it lasted 23 days until it developed a dead pixel line. That sensor was
replaced free of charge and
I had 4 years of good service until the LCD developed the famous coffee
stain and now Leica has no spare parts.
I sold it for a very discounted price when Leica offered a discount on an M9
(which I already have). I would try for
an out of warranty replacement since you had the camera CLA'd just over a
year ago. Can't hurt to try.
And in the meantime I would buy a used Fuji X100 to use as your street
shooter so you can keep on shooting
until the M8 is returned and / or M9 prices fall into your price range.
Again so sorry to hear about your misfortune. I know from personal
experience how frustrating that can be. :-(
Howard

Replies: Reply from scottgregory at mac.com (Scott Gregory) ([Leica] M8 shutter crapped out)