Subject: [Leica] D800E pixel-peepers
From: red735i at verizon.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2012 15:56:06 -0700

The old Nikon F is a workhorse tank.  It was rumored to be good for over
500,000 clicks.  The M1-M4, maybe the M5,6, and possibly the M7 follow in
that tradition.  Tolerances were great, and therefore there were a lot of
tweak points in the bodies.  This is what kept these bodies going.. the
ability to tweak them back into calibration.

I doubt the M8 or other Digi-M will make it that far.....  and current D700
or D800 Nikons are designed for a lifetime of 200,000 clicks.... or less.
The D3, D4 are a bit stronger in this regard.....I heard a design goal of
500,000 clicks.

But you have to understand the market...  if you are going to buy a new body
every 2 years, after an average of 50,000 clicks or less, why design it to
last for 10 times that long?  So, in defense of the Nikon D40, maybe 60,000
clicks is sufficient....

Ditto a D800E....or an M8 or M9 (!).

Frank Filippone
Red735i at verizon.net

But I wonder how many "disposable" Canons and NIkons someone would go
through, not to mention adding new lenses that don't fit on the older
cameras.  I can still use my almost 60 year old M3 with all of my current
Leica lenses.  Leicas just don't break or get old.  Unlike me ;-)

Tina

Message from chris at chriscrawfordphoto.com (Chris Crawford) ([Leica] D800E pixel-peepers)
Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] D800E pixel-peepers)