Subject: [Leica] D800E pixel-peepers
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 21:08:35 -0400

The term "Pixel Peeping" on the LUG over the past decade and a half is a
pejorative from the first. Its something you're supposed to be embarrassed
about. Your spending time checking over your results with a fine tooth comb
and you should be out shooting instead or doing something else. Watching
television.
And its pure 100% BS to think that.
Any one who spends this kind of money on gear and is not interested in
closely checking over their results is an idiot.
In the days of film we all had Schneider Loupes or the something we thought
was the equivalent on our light tables and we used them on everything. Negs,
prints you name it. Nobody had to do it on the sly. But here on the lug
that's supposed to be a negative thing.
I think its about time that ended.
Its about time after spending super big money on gear we don't have to act
as if its a big deal to be interested in the results.

Would it take undue extreme measures to see the different between shooting
with an M body and high end nikon which costs half that? I'd want to know.
And I'd not be embarrassed about it. I'd not call it pixel peeping I'd call
it looking carefully at the images full 1:1 size on the screen maybe
comparing large prints. I'd call it basic common sense. I'd call it
something resembling having a basic common over my materials. My software.
We don't need a Schneider Loup now all we need to do is set our viewer to
"full size" one to one. Its super easy and obvious to do.

"Pixel peeping" is LUG term. You'll not find it on the other lists.
It's insipid.
Lets end it.

Mark William Rabiner
Photography