Subject: [Leica] LR4 Soft Proofing
From: kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney)
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2012 19:57:26 -0500

Right, I always soft proof when printing in color (SFAIK there is no way to
do that in grayscale, except for some really time-consuming curve building
in the ImagePrint RIP, which I tried and abandoned).  With a good profile
for the paper/printer and uniform lighting, I can usually match the
(calibrated) monitor on the second if not first try (a letter-sized print on
those tries, though!).   Usually it is just a curves adjustment and maybe a
small saturation bump.  Most of my printing is b&w, so soft-proofing is n/a.
That requires a RIP, though I have been really pleased with the Epson
Advanced B&W settings on "fiber" inkjet papers such as Harman and Epson.
Whatever, the ratio of keepers is much better than in the darkroom days.

Ken