Subject: [Leica] IMG: Comparison MM, M9 / B&W, Color
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 11:05:55 +0930

B&W almost always for me, and here, definitely.

>>  I like the B&W best, too.  Tom prefers it, too, but his reason is
>>> different.  He doesn't like the plastic buckets for gathering grapes and
>>> the blue-jeans and ball-cap of the picker.  He would prefer wicker
>>> baskets
>>> and peasant clothes - a true romantic.  With B&W, the plastic and jeans
>>> are not as noticeable.  A little romanticism restored. ;-)

Romanticism without the romanticism being fake, which is the worst.
Quite a few people asked me how long it took the Herero I photographed
in Namibia:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freakscene/Africa+2009/Namibia/img863a.jpg.html
to change into these clothes.  I was baffled for a while, but then I
realised they thought the pictures were staged, or arranged.  I was
moderately affronted and reported that I photograph people how I find
them, not how I, or anyone else, thinks they should look.

That's why I like this photo - it's a real grape picker, working.

Marty

Message from jbmmllug at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] IMG: Comparison MM, M9 / B&W, Color)
Message from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMG: Comparison MM, M9 / B&W, Color)
Message from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] IMG: Comparison MM, M9 / B&W, Color)