Subject: [Leica] What makes something a "technical camera"?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2012 00:00:37 -0400

A technical camera is a Speed Graphic made in Europe.
:)
But kinda true.
When people think technical camera they think hand holding sheet film.
But maybe with a roll back.
And a few oddly configured swings tilts and shifts you and check on the
groundglass in tripod mode.
Big Money.
Linhof and Alpa.
We think Leicas are expensive but a Linhof lens cap cost as much as a pre
ASPH Summicron.

There is a new meaning now being used on the term " technical camera" and
those are camera you'd use with a medium format digital back with highly
geared ultra precise movements. And you cant even shoot 4x5 sheet film with
them. As that would point to the fact that this can already be done with a
4x5 camera with similar engineering which they've been making for decades.
Or medium format versions of those already also long made.
So they are medium format Arca Swiss's and Rollei's and Linhofs and Sinars.

Mark William Rabiner